Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Week 10 & 11: Flawless

Didya miss me? Probably not, but that's okay. I've been busy, so it's time for an update, right?

Basically, everything's been flawless. These past weeks' adventures have been wonderful and awesome.

Let's start with two Saturdays ago when my friend, Tanya, and I got to see the NY premiere of this season's "Doctor Who." It was fantastic and the bonus was that Matt Smith and Karen Gillan, along with one of the show's producers, did a Q&A afterwards. It was quite nifty.



On Monday, I went to DC to check on my place and then do a screening of "Lawless." I'm not one for blood but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, in terms of bloodiness. I mean, there's still blood but not as much as "Saving Private Ryan," in my opinion. I believe it was the first thing I've seen with Shia LaBeouf since "Even Stevens." Heh. He was fine. The other cast members stole the movie from him, especially Tom Hardy and Guy Pearce. Tom's grunts and whimpers were pretty amazing, as strange as it sounds. And Guy... such a great villian. Jessica Chastain was very good as Maggie, too.



Also, while I was in DC, I finally used my two restaurant Groupons and tried a cupcake from Red Velvet Cupcakery.

I went to the first restaurant for lunch when I just arrived in DC. It was the Tackle Box on M St. in Georgetown. It's on the west side of Wisconsin Ave. so it doesn't get much foot traffic but gosh, the food is so good. I got the fish tacos and the lobster roll.

I stopped at the Red Velvet Cupcakery in the Penn Quarter after my screening. I had the Black Velvet and the Southern Belle (which is the classic Red Velvet cupcake). They were very good. Baked and Wired is still my favorite cupcake place but the Red Velvet Cupcakery might be second or third; it's above Georgetown Cupcakes.

The second restaurant was where I went for lunch before I caught my bus back to NYC. I Ricchi is an Italian restaurant that's kinda tucked away off of Connecticut near the intersection of M St. and 19th St. You can get to it by either walking down from Dupont or up from Farragut. I got the tomato & basil soup and the steak with mushrooms. Both were very tasty.

Back in the world of New York, I finally saw "One Man, Two Guvnors" this past Thursday. I just had to see it before it closed three days later. I'm so glad that I did. It was hilarious. And I loved the music! The entire cast was a hoot, especially James Corden, who's just a lovely teddy bear. Also, Tom Edden as Alfie was just brilliant. I'm so sorry if you missed it.



On Saturday, my friend & former college roommate, Jess, came up from DC to visit me. I really wanted her to see "Newsies" before Jeremy left but we lost lotto. We then went to "Peter and the Starcatcher" which we also lost lotto (it was such as large crowd) but ended up with lotto loser. I've seen it before but Christian Borle was still in as Black Stache so I was looking forward to seeing Matthew Saldivar's take on the role. He was very good. He varied, of course, what Christian did and made the role his own. I liked him. Jess liked the show a lot, too.



The following day after dropping Jess at the bus stop, I decided to see "The Avengers" on the big screen again. Do I really need a reason? What was cool was that there were definitely people in there that didn't see it the first time around and their reactions were great. After you've seen the movie a few times, you know what's coming up but goodness, I still cracked up at those scenes.

Anyways, Fashion Week will soon be upon me. The prep has been a lot for me but it's nothing compared to what the others in the office are dealing with. But that's what you'll be looking for in my next post, right?

*crickets*

No comments:

Post a Comment